Saturday 20 March 2010

Free Speech, Costly Thoughts

I had an odd instance today. Where I talked about something, and was given the reply of death threats. Its an odd occurence. I am a very opinionated person, and never had the problem of such volatile reactions to my words.
It wasn't as if the words were offensive. I mean, I spoke negatively about a singer from a bands actions. But that's it. I didn't berate him for it, I just said I did not agree with his actions. Simple enough, you may think. It's just showing opinion, over something. Which is all it was. But when did opinion become a fight about what's right and wrong?

I wish I could say, that my experience today, was a one off occurence.  But I know, just by watching the news, it isn't. We are constantly being told how lucky we are, because we live in a country which allows free speech. Which is all very well, in theory. Free speech, also allows free thinking. And people, as complex as we appear, can't seem to process anything other than a good side and a bad side, just black and white. So the thoughts you think up, are either right and wrong, as if that gives it an answer.

I mean, we like answers don't we. Like to have everything in resolved in a neat little package. People are reluctant to say something is someones opinion, and to just leave it that. They feel the need to show why it is right, or wrong. Why?

Looking through the news, I saw that T4's Miquitta Oliver has been suspended from her work, because she spoke negatively about US singer Ke$ha. She apparently used swear words when talking about the singer. Now, note that the words themself, weren't what caused the damage. It was the thought process, connected to those words. But to say that someone is not allowed to air their frustrations, with this 'free speech', kind of indicates that we are not as free as we are lead to believe.

But that's not anything new is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment